Saturday, September 24, 2011

Women's Half Marathon

Today I ran a race.  It was the 5k that was a part of the Nashville Women's Half Marathon.  Unfortunately, I'm not quite ready to run 13.1 miles at one time.  Hopefully sometime soon.



I've run several races, but none as large and as organized as this one.  There were corrals separated by expected finishing time.  The race started on time.  There were organized water stations and bathrooms along the route.  There was several breakfast items for the finishers, including chips (yum!).  They even had my first name on my bib!



It was so great to be part of such a large, energetic crowd.  Jo Dee Messina, a country singer, who lives in Nashville sang the National Anthem before, and even ran the 5k. 

I felt pretty good about my race, especially since my training runs involve tons of endless hills in my neighborhood, which can be very demotivating at times and I hadn't run nearly as much as I would have wanted to.

My official time was 32:59, which placed me 34/94 in my age group and 139/601 overall.


My average time was 10:37/mile.  My GPS tweaked out a bit at the end, so I'm not sure what my 3rd mile split actually was.

While this, by no means, was a PR, I was proud of how I did and my husband definitely was proud of me, as well.  I even got a cool medal to remember the race!



4 comments:

  1. Hey what GPS system do you use? I want to get one for running also, but I cant decide on one.

    -Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the Nike+ app on my iPhone. It's pretty accurate most of the time (in a huge city at a race with thousands of people who have a GPS, not as accurate) and its only $2 in the app store. It's also cool because it keeps track of your running stats, so you can watch yourself improve, or know how far you ran in a week or month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo! i don't have an Iphone. maybe i should finally upgrade.

    -Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could get a GPS Watch. They usually come with their own software where you can track your stats. I know a lot of people who love them.

    ReplyDelete